Re: GNOME 2.23 Schedule

natan yellin wrote on 21/03/08 07:32:

> On 3/20/08, *Federico Mena Quintero* <federico ximian com
> <mailto:federico ximian com>> wrote:
> > The problem we've had so far is that someone does a good analysis of
> > login time, things get fixed, but then over time things get
> > gradually worse.

Mozilla uses Tinderbox to constantly rebuild software, and then tests
each successful build to measure how long it takes to start up (amongst
other things). <http://tinyurl.com/2shnre> This lets developers see
performance regressions as soon as they happen. Perhaps something
similar is possible for Gnome.

> >                   It would be nice to be able to get a fresh profile
> > at any moment, just to see that things didn't get screwed up.

A "Guest" account, which has a fresh profile on every login, would also
be a useful feature for those cases where I lend my laptop to someone
for a few minutes so they can check their e-mail. (I don't want to have
to set up a new user account for someone who probably won't use that
computer again.)

> > Ubuntu's new "brainstorm" page is pretty cool.  Would you have time
> > to implement something similar for GNOME?  I quite like the idea of
> > a "digg for feature ideas" that we could reuse in various places.
>
> It would be useful, but perhaps it would be better to just get our own
> category over there.

The number of people who use Gnome without it being supplied as part of
their operating system is tiny, so it would likely make little sense for
Gnome to have its own Brainstorm site.

However, Ubuntu is not the only operating system that uses Gnome, and it
would be unreasonable for (for example) people interested in proposing
an idea for Gnome in Opensuse to be pointed to an Ubuntu site.

>                      If we have our own brainstorm website, a lot of
> the ideas are going to be duplicates and there'll be two places to
> discuss and vote on everything.

We already have that problem in Ubuntu itself, with at least four
different places to propose ideas (Brainstorm, Launchpad Bugs, Launchpad
Blueprints, and various pages on the Ubuntu wiki).

Ideally there would be a way of linking and syncing feature requests
between Ubuntu and the various other operating systems that use Gnome --
similar to how Launchpad links and syncs the status of bug reports in
bugzilla.gnome.org and other bug trackers. However, the first step would
be to have a semi-standard way of representing feature requests, and
that hasn't happened yet (bug : bug report :: feature request : ???).

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/