Re: gnome-session proposal

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
> 2008/6/27 Andrew Cowie <andrew operationaldynamics com>:
>> I've been very happy with stable and trunk Metacity with compositing
>> enabled, but the 2-3 second pause to redraw windows when changing
>> workspaces is really staggering.
> Complain to the developers of your X driver to make their XRender faster.
> I don't see any lag on my systems. While I don't doubt that Metacity
> might be able to be faster in this area, I think the main problem is
> just bad XRender implementations but people keep complaining to the
> wrong place.

As a web developer I can tell you asking for better XRender support is
like asking Microsoft for better web standards support. Sure it might
happen at some point in time. The point is XRender is close to its
tenth birthday yet still no one seems to care. That's why I think GL
is the way to go. Hardware/driver ISVs care about GL as it's equal to
game performance.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution