Re: gnome-session proposal

2008/6/26 Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.06.2008, 15:28 +0100 schrieb Alexander Jones:
>> Agreed, we need to move towards expecting Composited as default and
>> Direct as a niche case, but this was just an example. :)
> Guess Metacity's compositor needs to become much faster first.
> Activating its compositor introduces such a lag, that is isn't
> fun anymore.

That involves either:

* replacing the current compositor with a GL-based one; or

* adding a second GL-based compositor and doing a fallback to the
current one if the GL-one can't work; or

* fixing X to do fast blitting with the current compositor

Seeing as 2d acceleration seems to be in worse shape than 3d one, the
first two options seem better at least in the short term.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution