Re: gnome-session proposal

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 17:28 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> * replacing the current compositor with a GL-based one; or
> Please don't. I really want compositing but I can't use a GL-based one
> on all systems, as for example even with some recent Intel desktop
> mainboards you can't have DRI with a screen area larger than 2048x2048,
> which is easily reached with two monitors.

Then that leaves the GL+fallback approach.

> Metacity's compositor works pretty well here except for slow workspace
> switching.

That should be addressed separately by switching from many-desktops
mode to small-viewport-over-a-large-desktop mode. Then you can keep
other windows' offscreen buffers (and get stuff such as live previews)
for windows on other desktops.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution