Re: gnome-session proposal

Am Donnerstag, den 26.06.2008, 17:55 +0200 schrieb Dave Neary:
> Hi,
>
> Jürg Billeter wrote:
> > I really want compositing but I can't use a GL-based one
> > on all systems, as for example even with some recent Intel desktop
> > mainboards you can't have DRI with a screen area larger than 2048x2048,
> > which is easily reached with two monitors.
>
> I don't mean to be impertinent, but isn't "any screen bigger than
> 2048x2048" a major edge case? It's like desktop apps that only work on
> screens bigger than 640x480... who cares at this stage? By the time
> that's anything bug an edge case, won't the hardware have caught up?

Laptop with 1280x768 wides screen LCD plus external monitor or projector
with 1024x768 resolution gives 2304x768 pixels. This setup absolutely
doesn't look exotic for me, but requires more than 2048 horizontal
pixels. When writing this I am still wondering how Intel could choose
such low limits.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/