Re: Need Leadership

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
2008/6/21 Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com>:
And there's a discussion about it already, there's even a BoF at GUADEC around the topic.

PGO is the wrong place for that discussion and  as I said in the first sentence of my email, this thread is for everyone; not just those that can afford to go to GUADEC or who blog to PGO.

3. Marketing to developers must get ramped up; we agree that we need a new generation of awesome developers to bring new ideas and blood in to our process. A number of our Gnome modules are in "barely maintained" mode. With new blood, we can reinvigorate 2.x while looking to the future. And I've volunteer for this one in the form of 15 minute screen casts. However, it needs web hosting space. And that needs Gnome resources. What do we have to do to make this hosting happen? What else can we do to get more developers?

Is there anything preventing you to put the videos at your GNOME's home directory and serve it through http? I can't see why those screencasts should wait before the hipotetically needed bandwidth is there.

This is a marketting effort. Nothing hurts something like that more than a false-start. We need to make sure the bandwidth is there first.

Actually, you can just put those videos at youtube and provide a secondary ogg link, that will solve the bandwidth problem and it wil provide an "usable" way to watch the video for most people, and a freedom-compilant version of the video.

YouTube doesn't provide sufficient quality for a screen cast. A screen cast where you can't read the text defeats the purpose.

As a side note, if you want to drive leadership I will strongly encourage you to avoid any sentence that starts with "I hate", if you have something against some developers' decisions on the tools they want to use, just give your rationale behind your opinion and recognize the benefits of what they use as well. Don't assume people is just wrong since that will inevitably drive the discussion into a passionate argue instead of a constructive conversation. Remember, encouraging people to move forward is way more important than making your personal points clear.

You also appear to have misread my email. I'm *advocating* the inclusion of Mono with 100% approval so that we can MEND the rift in our community.