Re: Reporting crashes [was: Reduced Bugzilla functionality]

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:25:43AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 04 décembre 2008 à 20:17 +0100, Cosimo Cecchi a écrit :
> > Technically, bug-buddy is already capable of creating minidumps and push
> > them to a crash.gnome.org server, and this would be great indeed, but
> > AFAICT it requires a lot of coordination between us and distributions to
> > provide:
> > - a way for distributors to automatically push debug information to a
> > centralized server for every package/update.
> > - an unified way to get the version of a package, as distributors often
> > ship two or more updates for the same upstream version.
>
> I’m not really convinced by the minidump approach, especially because of
> the confidentiality implications. Furthermore the current code still has
> non-free components and is not distributable.

Non-free? By Debian guidelines or across distributions? You aren't
shipping Bug-Buddy then?

> The approach I’ve been pondering for some time is instead to put the
> debugging information on a public server, shared by WebDAV, so that it
> is be possible to mount it with FUSE and let bug-buddy dump the trace
> directly. The problem with this approach is that gdb currently reads the

I don't understand this bit. Do you mean that the core dump would be put
on a public server?

> whole debugging symbol information upon loading, just to compute a
> checksum.

Anyway, this crash stuff isn't going to be solved any time soon IMO, so
next Bz version will still have the same Bug-Buddy stuff.

e.g. crash.gnome.org hasn't been working for months and nobody notices..
that is the minidump solution that is often proposed.

--
Regards,
Olav