Re: libcanberra as an external dependency

Le jeudi 07 août 2008, à 19:08 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Thu, 07.08.08 12:52, Joe Marcus Clarke (marcus freebsd org) wrote:
>
> > Ross Burton wrote:
> >> It is the *deprecated* sound server for GNOME.  We don't complain when
> >> applications stop linking to libgnomeui because they can use modern
> >> replacements, so I don't see the problem here.
> >
> > But the modern replacements for libgnomeui are blessed GNOME dependencies.
> > I don't see pulseaudio listed in the platform, desktop, or external
> > dependency lists.
>
> I'm note sure what the exact policy on what a blessed GNOME dependency
> can be is. But somehow I am pretty sure that the requirement that an
> (optional) dependency of a blessed dependency must also be blessed is
> NOT part of the policy.

That's somewhat true, but it would be kind of weird to have a blessed
dependency depending on, say, konqueror, wouldn't it?

The real point (that you made earlier) is that libcanberra has a null
backend that has no dependency and that causes no lack of features when
compared to "not using libcanberra". And that's it's easy to write
backends for systems that need it.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.