Re: libcanberra as an external dependency

On Thu, 07.08.08 18:12, Mathias Hasselmann (mathias hasselmann gmx de) wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 07.08.2008, 11:59 -0400 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> > It seems to me there is a fundamental problem with adding libcanberra as
> > an external dependency.  It currently only supports ALSA and pulseaudio
> > audio output.  However, the default sounds daemon for GNOME is still
> > esound.  The BSDs and Solaris do not support ALSA, so this leaves them a
> > tough choice for sound events.  Pulseaudio replaces esd, but it is not a
> > blessed GNOME dependency.
> >
> > I think libcanberra must have an esd output plug-in at the very least
> > (i.e. if not also OSS and Sun Audio) in order to be a viable external
> > dependency.  This would go a long way to helping non-Linux platforms
> > achieve working sound theme support using all blessed GNOME dependencies.
>
> AFAIK an EDS backend would be quite pointless considering the latency
> this adds. What about directly adding OSS and Sun Audio backends? AFAIK
> Lennart designed Pulseaudio to support different backends.

I wouldn't be concerned so much about latency.

libcanberra supports different backends, as does PulseAudio.

I added support for pluggable backends precisely to avoid discussions
like this one: if someone wants to use libcanberra on his exotic OS,
he's welcome to do so, all he needs to do is write a backend. In the
ALSA driver he has a good template.

Lennart