Re: a11y module proposal: MouseTweaks (i.e.: software click)

Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 26.09.2007 17:43, Gerd Kohlberger wrote:
>>> Le mardi 25 septembre 2007, à 17:27 +0200, Francesco Fumanti a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> After informally proposing onboard and mousetweaks for integration
>>> into GNOME on the gnome  accessibility mailing list, here is a somewhat
>>> more formal request for the integration of MouseTweaks into GNOME:
>
> Disclaimer: I base my comments entirely on what I saw on the project
> page in launchpad. If  that's not up to date or something I'm
> probably way off in a number of ways.
>
> From the screenshots posted there I get the impression that
> a) it needs a HIG review or two

If you're referring to the gui screenshots of the original ubuntu spec, those were just mock-ups
from the author to help illustrate the different features. The current preferences dialog looks very
different and has much less options. It should be HIG conform.

> b) most (all?) of the settings should be integrated in the
> existingcontrol center dialogs.
>
> I'm not really clued in on a11y topics, so I have a hard time figuring
> out  what some of the settings would be used for, or even deciding
> whether they make sense  at all, but I absolutely believe that adding
> yet another keyboard/a11y configuration dialog is out of the question
> in times when we are trying to reduce the number of capplets.

The version currently in trunk is a partial rewrite which separates mousetweaks into daemon and gui.
This was done to get rid of the annoying tray icon and to make it possible to integrate the
configuration into some other app.

One idea here would be to hook into gnome-mouse-properties and add an Accessibility tab if
mousetweaks is installed and Assistive Tech is enabled. I'm not sure though if this is possible
without patching gnome-mouse-properties.

Gerd