Re: a11y module proposal: MouseTweaks (i.e.: software click)

At 6:33 PM +0200 9/28/07, Jens Granseuer wrote:
On 26.09.2007 17:43, Gerd Kohlberger wrote:
 Le mardi 25 septembre 2007, à 17:27 +0200, Francesco Fumanti a écrit :
 Hello,

 After informally proposing onboard and mousetweaks for integration
 into GNOME on the gnome  accessibility mailing list, here is a somewhat
 more formal request for the integration of MouseTweaks into GNOME:

Disclaimer: I base my comments entirely on what I saw on the project
page in launchpad. If  that's not up to date or something I'm
probably way off in a number of ways.

 From the screenshots posted there I get the impression that
a) it needs a HIG review or two
b) most (all?) of the settings should be integrated in the existingcontrol
center dialogs.

I'm not really clued in on a11y topics, so I have a hard time figuring
out  what some of the settings would be used for, or even deciding
whether they make sense  at all, but I absolutely believe that adding
yet another keyboard/a11y configuration dialog is out of the question
in times when we are trying to reduce the number of capplets.

Hello,

Thanks for taking position; though I don't understand exactly what pages you are referring to, I suspect that there is some misunderstanding:

I suppose that you are referring to the following page (if not, please correct me):
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/doc/OnboardAndDwellAtGDM

In fact, it is an howto about how to use onboard and mousetweaks during GDM. I should probably have pointed out that onboard and mousetweaks are two completely independent applications (with two different authors):
- onboard is the onscreen keyboard
- mousetweaks is the borderless window with the single click, double click, drag click and right click buttons.

The mousetweaks module propsal has nothing to do with the onscreen keyboard, it only refers to the enhanced functionalities offered by mousetweaks for the pointer; particularly systemwide dwelling, an Assistive Technology still missing in GNOME.

You might also be referring to the following page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/MouseTweaks/Details

This is in fact outdated:

- The mouse-gestures part has been moved to an independent application called chickenscratch and that has nothing to do with mousetweaks.

- Mousetweaks comes now in the form of an application which can be seen as a Preference Panel and that lets the user choose what functionality he wants to activate. These are: -- dwell click: a method to click by software without pressing any hardware button. When using this fonctionality, the user needs a way to tell to mousetweaks what click to perform. Hence the need of another window with the buttons to choose the click. Instead of the window, mousetweaks also offers a panel to choose the click. -- delay click: a direct method to open the contextual menu for users that can only operate one mousebutton
-- pointer movement tolerance: little pointer movements are ignored
-- pointer capture area: an applet for the panel which captures the pointer until it gets released for example by a determined key combination.

I hope that I could make some points clearer.

Hoping to hear from you again.

Francesco