Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 05:15:36PM -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> > Ehr, you seem to be arguing that people shouldn't start their own
> > projects, but rather join an existing one. IMO you cannot dictate what
> > people do with their time. People will write the same application 5
> > different times, then again when some new language comes out.
> >
> > Pidgin is just as welcome to propose themselves to be part of the GNOME
> > project.
>
> Said developer is free to do whatever they want with their time. Said

Ehr, why just use his name, Xavier? You message seems a bit harsh.

> developer has asked for project resources to assist in his effort in a
> competing with an existing project that gives users exactly what they need,

No, he asked to be part of the GNOME project. Is is not about competing.

> today. Are we going to help Empathy with it's effort to some day offer a
> point-for-point feature match? That's what we are discussing.

I don't believe this is what is meant with joining the GNOME project. It
is not that we do a 'oh, lets reassign some persons from $PROJECT to
Empathy'.

> I'm saying it's a bad idea right now. Let's revisit it when it actually has
> the features proposed.

That is the only thing we should be discussing. Does it add value to the
GNOME project? I only used it once, so no idea yet.
--
Regards,
Olav