Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On 9/23/07, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 04:56:34PM -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> It's "Pidgin" and it's non-inclusion in Gnome is irrelevant. Every single
> distro ships it as the pre-installed IM client for a "desktop" install. For
> better or worse, it's the application filling the IM space at the moment and
> I don't mind saying that it does a damn good job at this. Why are we trying
> to compete with them?

Ehr, you seem to be arguing that people shouldn't start their own
projects, but rather join an existing one. IMO you cannot dictate what
people do with their time. People will write the same application 5
different times, then again when some new language comes out.

Pidgin is just as welcome to propose themselves to be part of the GNOME
project.

Said developer is free to do whatever they want with their time. Said developer has asked for project resources to assist in his effort in a competing with an existing project that gives users exactly what they need, today. Are we going to help Empathy with it's effort to some day offer a point-for-point feature match? That's what we are discussing.

I'm saying it's a bad idea right now. Let's revisit it when it actually has the features proposed.