Re: Module proposal: GtkGLExt for GNOME 2.22

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le samedi 22 septembre 2007, à 13:57 +0200, Andreas Røsdal a écrit :
Hello!

* Proposal: Include GtkGLExt in the GNOME developer platform.

Oh, interesting.

Note that it's possible that it will get rejected for the platform if it
doesn't go in the desktop for at least one cycle, since we're quite
strict about the platform. So maybe you should propose it for the
desktop first?

I'd like to be pragmatic and propose the module to the release set which is the most appropriate. Originally, I didn't think that GtkGLExt should be a Desktop module, because it doesn't "provide user functionality". But now I see that other libraries such as GStreamer, gnome-doc-utils and libsoup are included in the Desktop release set as well - Despite being development libraries, and not providing end user functionality. Since GtkGLExt is a development library, and should be part of the infrastructure / development platform for other modules, the developer platform was originally the release set that I thought would be most appropriate.

So I'm fine with proposing GtkGLExt as a desktop module, at least for the first development cycle. Generally, more long-term, I think that all development libraries in the desktop release set should be in the developer platform release set, ideally.

However, GtkGLExt is currently unmaintained. I will volunteer to maintain
it if accepted as a GNOME module, and hope to work with the GNOME community
to make it fit in well as a GNOME module.

Well, it won't be accepted if it's unmaintained. So you should do things
the other way around: start maintaining it before it can get accepted.

I agree. Should I begin maintaining it in the GNOME infrastructure already now? Any suggestions about how to proceed during this development cycle for a "smooth" inclusion as a new module during this cycle? :-)

There has also been a lot of discussion about this in bug #119189
"Add OpenGL support to GTK+".

I gave a really quick look at the bug, and there doesn't seem to be any
decision there. Are there any specific plans?

There are no decisions or specific plans that I know of yet.

 - Andreas