Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 21:44 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > > I was going to be offended, but you warned :).  Now that most probably
> > > means that you don't hack on the more crowded projects that much...
> > > Many Gtk+ developers for example could not have been as productive as
> > > they are right now if it wasn't for git-svn.  And that's only a
> > > half-arsed solution.
> > >

> > Yeah, I am not against DRCS at all, in fact I cannot stand using svn
> > or any CRCS, what I was pointing out is that basically everyone is
> > calling for using git while superior alternatives to git exists out
> > there. I am not a user of Mercurial for example, but I think it is the
> > DRCS out there that gives a very good balance between ease of use,
> > speed and functionalities. Actually I use bzr daily, but I cannot
> > claim that bzr is very fast (the upcomming 0.92 is supposed to be
> > quite fast).
> >
> > I think that both bzr and mercurial give a better balance than git,
> > which is indeed very fast on posix systems, but ad Ross said a while
> > ago : "Git is a good core of a yet to be written revision control
> > system". I think that Git is to revision control system, what
> > Autotools is to build systems.
> >
> > I am just afraid that everyone is calling for using Git, without even
> > considering the existing and less hyped alternatives.
> >
> > And again don't get offended by what I say ;) I am just calling for a
> > fair comparison of the tools, instead of a biased one :)
>
> Ok, lets be fair:  most people who care about hacking on GNOME already
> know git, why should other options be selected?  Seriously, kernel is
> using it, freedesktop.org is using it, and KDE is considering it.  Git
> is one of those ones you need to learn at some point anyway.  Bazaar on
> the other hand from what I see is a Ubuntu/Canonical focus and
> Mercurial's biggest deployment, yet to be finished, will be Mozilla.
> I've seen many Mozilla hackers regret that they are not moving to git.
>
> Was going to add these to the wiki page, feel free to do:
>
>   - Keith Packard did a fairly extensive research of which DSCM system
> to use for xorg and other fd.o projects, from a storage robustness /
> performance point of view, and he wrote this excellent piece:
>
>   http://keithp.com/blog/Repository_Formats_Matter.html

This document is a year old; projects that are under heavy development
like Bazaar are misrepresented. For instance bzr has changed it's
repository format, and is much faster that it was a year ago.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.