Re: Pulseaudio

Il giorno lun, 08/10/2007 alle 17.49 -0400, Martin Meyer ha scritto:

[...]

> Gstreamer seems like the right thing to do here, and I remember this
> conversation coming up last year. I don't recall what the end decision
> was, if any. I'm wondering this: what if someone were to re-implement
> the esound API to simply pipe the sound into gstreamer? Is that
> possible?

Pulseaudio isn't a GStreamer contender. In fact, it exists a pulsesink
component for gstreamer, very much like there exist a alsasink, an
osssink, a esdsink...

If I understand correctly, you'd like to have esound be a wrapper around
some sort of GStreamer pipeline, that finishes into... into what? A
sink, certain. Why not a Pulseaudio sink? And so, why not just eliminate
the intermediary?

Pulseaudio does want to do some things that pertain to a sound server,
like have network transparency capabilities, controlling hardware, and
doing low-level resampling and mixing.
Since esound is almost dead, Pulseaudio is a viable alternative.

Cheers,
--
Matteo Settenvini
FSF Associated Member