Re: Pulseaudio

I agree that PulseAudio is quite nice, I use it on my amd64 system. It
has some GTK gui config tools which are nice, but I feel like they
would need to be a little simpler if they were going to be included in
Gnome. It's pretty powerful and flexible from what I've seen. That
part aside...

I would love to be able to ditch esound, but I don't know if
PulseAudio is something I would want to see tied into the desktop.
It's a pretty heavy-weight audio server, full of features and
everything, but it's not the simplest thing to configure and some
people just won't want it. It also eliminates a certain about of
choice that I feel should be left to the distro and/or user. Has
anyone asked the Pulse devs if they even want it to be considered for
inclusion?

Gstreamer seems like the right thing to do here, and I remember this
conversation coming up last year. I don't recall what the end decision
was, if any. I'm wondering this: what if someone were to re-implement
the esound API to simply pipe the sound into gstreamer? Is that
possible?

Martin