Re: Using C++ bindings for desktop/admin/devtools modules

On 3/17/07, Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon jongsma gmail com> wrote:
On 3/16/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Does it make sense to allow the use of gtkmm and other C++ bindings in
> our desktop/admin/devtools suites?

As a frequent user of the gnome/gtk C++ bindings, I have to say that
the C++ bindings are indeed rock solid and extremely high-quality.
It's a pleasure to code applications using gtkmm, which is a testament
both to the design of GTK+ and the tireless and often thankless work
of people like Murray.

Unfortunately, right now there is a bit of a mindset in the free
software world that if you're a C++ hacker, you belong in KDE, and if
you're a C hacker, you belong in GNOME. I think a decision to accept
applications written with C++ bindings in all GNOME release suites
would send a positive signal to other C++ developers that there is
top-notch C++ support for developing within GNOME, and there's a
vibrant C++ developer community within GNOME as well.

So obviously I'm very much in favor of accepting gtkmm / C++ apps in
all of the GNOME release suites.

As a C++ developer who almost decided to join KDE instead of GNOME
several years ago for the reasons Jonathon listed, I mostly agree with
him.  The part I don't agree with is the "in _all_ of the GNOME
release suites"; I don't think that gtkmm/c++ apps or libs should be
allowed in the developer platform suite.