Re: Proposed module: tracker

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 19:33 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Information about tracker:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/

okay, I'll bite.

+++

ouch !

I have strong objections to the inclusion of tracker into GNOME 2.18.

Actually, I have one strong objection, that is: what's proposed for
inclusion and where?

glad to see thats your only *strong* objection - tracker and t-s-t are proposed as desktop modules

  If it's tracker-search-tool (the UI), I'd say that
for what tracker *does* right now, there's no difference between tracker
and gnome-search-tool in gnome-utils.

well t-s-t is fast and instant and provides search snippets. It also allows search by object (Documents, Images, Music etc).

Also I would add that the sophisticated snowball stemmers that tracker uses allow for more accurate searches - EG "Fly" and "Flies" will match against "Flying"

 If what's proposed for inclusion
is tracker-the-indexer, then until we have a use for the indexer in more
than one application, I'd wait for its inclusion; same goes for
tracker-the-database.

um well Nautilus and Deskbar both have tracker support. So that makes 3 apps (including t-s-t)

  I'd also like to see a tracker-library to access
the data without having to implement the D-Bus calls into each and every
application.

we have a c based libtracker but most of the apps that use tracker are python based and they prefer the native dbus but apps can choose between both

I'd also like for tracker to become less of a moving target: in the past
six months tracker changed the database backend twice (at least), API,
UI;

UI has not changed at all

its proposed for Desktop not platform so moving API should not be an issue

we support multiple backends in theory but have now standardised on sqlite and will remain with it.

I have only proposed it now as im confident tracker wont need any more *major* overhauls.

and it still indexes just plain text files, images and audio files,
with all the interesting stuff (emails, contacts, im conversations,
bookmarks, etc.) marked as TODO.

emails is 95% done as of today and we should have a release for that in a week or two

chat logs are on their way.

But as t-s-t is proposed as a replacement for g-s-t that should not matter (the latter being files based also)

Above all, anyway, I'd like to be able to *not* use "tracker" as a catch
all for indexer, database, search UI and API.

well we need something if we want to compete with Vista and OS/X.

in any event tracker can be configured to not index at all or only index metadata and/or contents. It can also be used a stand alone metadata DB so I think tracker should be flexible enough for most cases where you only want a subset of its features.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/