Re: Proposed module: tracker

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 19:33 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Information about tracker:
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/

okay, I'll bite.

+++

I have strong objections to the inclusion of tracker into GNOME 2.18.

Actually, I have one strong objection, that is: what's proposed for
inclusion and where?  If it's tracker-search-tool (the UI), I'd say that
for what tracker *does* right now, there's no difference between tracker
and gnome-search-tool in gnome-utils.  If what's proposed for inclusion
is tracker-the-indexer, then until we have a use for the indexer in more
than one application, I'd wait for its inclusion; same goes for
tracker-the-database.  I'd also like to see a tracker-library to access
the data without having to implement the D-Bus calls into each and every
application.

I'd also like for tracker to become less of a moving target: in the past
six months tracker changed the database backend twice (at least), API,
UI; and it still indexes just plain text files, images and audio files,
with all the interesting stuff (emails, contacts, im conversations,
bookmarks, etc.) marked as TODO.

Above all, anyway, I'd like to be able to *not* use "tracker" as a catch
all for indexer, database, search UI and API.

so, in short, I'd wait *at least* until the next development cycle to
even think of using tracker.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--