Re: minimal required version of GTK for GNOME 2.18

Elijah Newren wrote:
On 2/19/07, Jani Monoses <jani monoses gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

is there a minimum required GTK+2.0 version that modules in svn trunk
should depend on? I could only find the external dependency list in the

Why would we want to force people to require a higher version of gtk+
than they need?  gtk+ promises backward compatibility so there's no

I did not suggest enforcing a specific version, but was wondering if the diversity is intentional.
There are surely some modules where the requirement is there because nobody got around to bump it.
Restating the question somewhat: are there reasons for specifically checking for pre 2.6
platforms? Having a requirement on 2.4 is ok if no >=2.6 APIs are used, but ifdefs for pre and post
2.6 or 2.4 gtk are ugly (ex: network-manager-applet, gnome-games)

thanks
Jani