Re: DBus GLib API

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 17:03 -0200, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 15/02/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 15:52 +0000, Rob Taylor wrote:
> > > Can anyone with a bit more library maintenance experience give me some
> > > advice on the best way forward? I don't want to just ignore the ABI
> > > issue, given the rapidly growing number of components depending on
> > > dbus-glib. Is the best thing to try and maintain ABI going forwards and
> > > deprecating symbols as needed? I'll also take a look at the main library
> > > users, if they're just using the mainloop integration perhaps
> > > Alexander's suggestion of splitting off a static library with just the
> > > mainloop integration would be a sensible option.
> >
> > Note that such a static library would have to be built with -fPIC so
> > that shared libs can link to it.
>
> Would we run into a problem if an application used two libraries that
> had linked this glib mainloop integration static library?

I don't really know. There is only one entry point to the functionallity
(dbus_connection_setup_with_g_main), so as long as you get *one* of the
linked in implementations it should work. And there is no way to mix the
version in different calls, since there is only one call.

But there might still be some issue with symbol conflicts.

At the very least we don't want to export the symbols from the
library .so file.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a hate-fuelled guerilla messiah who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
cosmopolitan African-American detective living on borrowed time. They fight
crime!