Re: gnome-keyring should use DBus for discovery

CCing in the dbus list..

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 10:27 +0000, Rob Taylor wrote:
>> This raises an interesting point - how can we get dbus-glib to the
>> usablilty it should be? I could make it ABI stable right now, if
>> needed,
>> but there's still an awful lot that should change, especially in terms
>> of being able to demarshal into types of the users choosing. Maybe we
>> could make the next dbus-glib a 1.0 release with proper shlib
>> versioning, and branch for a 2.0 version which makes it more usable.
>
> Yes. I use dbus-glib *lots* with gnome-power-manager. If it breaks API,
> well, that leaves me in a sticky situation with regard to GNOME
> releases.
>
> I vote fork off dbus-glib 1.0 fairly soon, and start new development in
> 1.1.

I'm in favour of doing this, of course making 1.1 parallel installable
with 1.0. There are still some pretty major bugs in doing peer-to-peer
buses, but I think that would be manageable without changing api,
*possibly* adding a bit of api.

Any objections?

Thanks,
Rob Taylor