Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:59 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > > we already have Documents (what do we do there for translation?), so it
> > > makes a lot of sense to just use subfolders there, instead of populating
> > > the home folder
> >
> > my music is not a "document".
>
> In the sense of an "office document" that is understandable but in the
> sense of Gnome being a document centric system it very much is a document.

being GNOME far from having a pure document-centric system, I'd say that
the burden of demonstrating that a photo is a document for the user lies
on you.

anyway, I agree that from a theoretical standpoint a "photo" is a
document; but for the user a photo is a photo (is a photo); a mp3 track
is music; and an openoffice word processor file is a document.  document
is something akin to "text", be it in form of words (word processor) or
numbers (spreadsheet).

> > as are my photos, my pictures (yes, it's
> > different), my videos, etc.
>
> Documents in this context does not mean only office documents as some have
> taken it to mean, it means users files, as opposed to configes.

not in my experience as an administrator.  a document is usually an
office document in the mind of most users.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com