Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:48:28 +0000
> From: Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center
>
> hi;
>
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 13:47 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:07 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > >
> > > [Personally I think a folder ~/Documents/ is needed with other user files
> > > such as music, pictures, spreadsheets, and anything else getting put in
> > > subfolders of ~/Documents/ rather than creating lots of folders like
> > > ~/Music directly in the home directory
> > >
> > we already have Documents (what do we do there for translation?), so it
> > makes a lot of sense to just use subfolders there, instead of populating
> > the home folder
>
> my music is not a "document".

In the sense of an "office document" that is understandable but in the
sense of Gnome being a document centric system it very much is a document.

You will need to further explain how you think these are not
documents.

> as are my photos, my pictures (yes, it's
> different), my videos, etc.

Documents in this context does not mean only office documents as some have
taken it to mean, it means users files, as opposed to configes.

> we already have ~/Templates, ~/Desktop and ~/Documents: why shoving
> stuff under an arbitrary point which makes little sense?

Some users still like to use $HOME as their Desktop and keep the desktop
as clear and tidy as possible.  (And I belatedly disagree with templates
getting a top level directory, I dont recall if I said anything at the
time.)

The disagreements over how and why are not so important as picking one way
or the other and deciding to create that Music folder (preferably picking
something KDE would be likely to go along with).

--
Alan