Re: New Control Centre

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 13:43 +0000, jamie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 08:29 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:

> > > Yes and its fairly easily fixed with tracker once I add .desktop file
> > > indexing to it
> >
> > They are already indexed in beagle, so it would be fairly easy to do
> > this with libbeagle right now, but you'd still have to mimic all the
> > tree building code with the categorizations in gmenu.
>

> you would not have to do that with tracker - you could just say get me
> all apps in category X or app starts with "ev*".

How do you display categories without knowing the categories?  You have
to read the .menu file and you still construct the queries based on the
that query language.  Are you really not going to cache that in memory?

> A sql database is much faster and useful for that than a lucene based
> indexer like Beagle.
>
> Sqlite uses btrees so theres no need to maintain trees in memory when
> you use the right technology.
>
> (lucene/beagle uses hashtables and is not comparable to an btree based
> sql database. Hashtables are useless for wildcard searches whereas
> btrees are fully optimised for this as they store stuff in alphabetic
> order as opposed to being randomly distributed in a hash)

Lucene and beagle have wildcard support and it works quite well.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>
Novell, Inc.