Re: Don't forget the some folks use network access to Gnome

Olav Vitters wrote:
On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:13:19PM +0000, Seb James wrote:
1) It would be really nice if the "reduced resources" switch was
available in the normal Gnome Windows preferences UI
(Desktop->Preferences->Windows). The "reduced resources" switch I mean
is the one availabe in gconf-editor as
apps->metacity->general->reduced_resources on my Debian Sarge desktop.

And what the purpose would this serve? If a slow connection means that
you want to have GNOME use less resources, it should just use less
resources. Meaning: there shouldn't be an option to do the right thing
(if detectable).
It isn't always detectable. For example, from a GNOME application point of view (or for that matter, any X11 application), Sun Ray thin clients appear to be just another frame buffer. Since the connection between the virtual frame buffer on the server and Sun Ray thin-client is asynchronous, the application doesn't have any cross-platform way of knowing that the display behind this framebuffer is at the end of a long cable called "the Internet." We typically rely on the sysadmin to set appropriate gconf parameters (and disable xscreensaver hacks) during Sun Ray deployment. I don't think autodetection would help much here because which desktop eye-candy you enable depends on what type of multiuser system you have (fat, thin, swap over IP, ultrathin...) and what resource and network bandwidth is available. There is a Sun Ray API for determining client-server bandwidth so we could hook it into any GNOME "am_I_on_a_thin_client()" API, but I'd be more interested in whether we could do something to avoid excessive screen updates and resource consumption for detached virtual frame buffers. Maybe putting an "is_anyone_watching_my_display()" in the gdk main loop and increasing poll intervals appropriately?