Background gradient not being applied until I run preferences dialog

Greetings,

Some time while I was mucking with my settings to try to switch window
managers to see if that would fix the problem I was having with Xaw
button translations, my desktop background gradient stopped being
applied when I log in.  My background remains completely black until I
run the desktop background preferences dialog; when the dialog starts
up, the background is updated to the correct gradient and I just close
it without changing any settings.

I also updated several GNOME packages from the Fedora Devel repository
last night (e.g., gnome-python2-gconf, libgnome, gnome-applets,
gtk2-devel, gnome-python2, gnome-python2-canvas, gnome-python2-bonobo),
so I suppose the update could have caused the problem and it's just
coincidental that I was working on the XRN thing at the same time.

I could just file a bug about this in the Red Hat bugzilla, but I
thought I'd run it by y'all first to see if you had any ideas.

Thanks,

  jik