Re: Background gradient not being applied until I run preferences dialog

On 11/04/07 14:07, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
Greetings,

Some time while I was mucking with my settings to try to switch window
managers to see if that would fix the problem I was having with Xaw
button translations, my desktop background gradient stopped being
applied when I log in.  My background remains completely black until I
run the desktop background preferences dialog; when the dialog starts
up, the background is updated to the correct gradient and I just close
it without changing any settings.

Sounds like whatever alternative session you're using is not starting gnome-settings-daemon, as this is what applies the background settings (amongst other things). When you open a preference window, it will automatically start gnome-settings-daemon if it is not already running.

Regards,

Thomas