Re: [Usability] Drive applet by default

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 17:43 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:55, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 02:05:49PM +0200, Isak Savo wrote:
> > > I think he's talking about the fact that when you "unmount" a USB
> > > device in windows, the devices are often turning off their leds to
> > > indicate that they are now turned off. When unmounting in linux, this
> > > is often not the case (although the device *is* properly unmounted and
> > > data is flushed, so it's just a cosmetic thing.).
> >
> > My iAudio M3 says "Do not disconnect!" on its display even after
> > unmounting, I don't think this is only cosmetic.
>
> I guess it's because the USB port hasn't been powered down, so your M3
> has no way to know it's no more in use.

Usually they're listening for the eject sequence (as sent by the eject
program). If the port was powered down, the iPod wouldn't be able to be
charged, even thought it is safe to disconnect.

Some devices don't listen for this sequence, I don't think there is a
simple solution for this.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA