Re: Drive applet by default

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 10:15 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> Why don't we just put an icon in the tray always, to unmount media, stop
> pcmcia devices, and other nifty things like that, the same as Windows
> does? The latter of those two problems still isn't solved in the
> desktop. We need an easy way to stop pcmcia devices so that they can be
> removed from the slot, as well.

Pretty sure the PCMCIA stuff is not needed on recent Linux 2.6. At least
it just works for me on Fedora and it's not like we're doing anything
special in userland.

> A generic tray icon to deal with all the
> devices that need this functionality would be quite nice to have.

Right. This would be nice. The code should probably go in
gnome-volume-manager which is to be renamed gnome-hardware-manager
anyway.

    David