Re: Metacity Compositor

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 14:34 -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 17:25 -0400, Kristian H�rg wrote:
> > It would be nice if you could back up these claims with examples of
> > such missing details.  Or even better, file bugs so we can get them
> > fixed.  There is a component for compiz in the freedesktop.org
> > bugzilla:
> >
> > https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xorg&component=App/compiz
>
> Why bother when both the GNOME and KDE projects already have excellent
> window managers?  I don't understand this idea of writing a whole new
> window manager just to add eye candy.  There's nothing about compositing
> that requires a complete rewrite of the window manager.  The effort
> would be far better spend simply extending the existing support for
> compositors in metacity and KWin.  Realistically, compiz is unlikely
> ever to be accepted by either project, because it's a chimera.  So why
> are we dumping so much effort into it?

Perhaps because there's plenty of demand for it. People want eye-candy,
Compiz got written and it kinda took off. Metacity and KWin just
stalled, as the code and momentum didn't really come together at the
same time. People aren't going to stop Compiz now; just look at the
fork, Beryl, in such a short space of time!