Re: Putting the 'Mono debate' back on the rails

On 7/24/06, Ghee Teo sun com <Ghee Teo sun com> wrote:
Iain * wrote:

>>    The other example is gstreamer, I am sure they can share with us
>> whether
>> their decision to go with parallel-installable version of 0.8 and
>> 0.10 was a
>> pleasant exercise. Of course they were facing similar situations as
>> is now.
>

> Speaking as aGStreamer application author and user, it was very
> pleasent. It allowed me to use applications that had been ported to
> 0.10 and applications that had not...all at the same time!

    Good :).
    But for how long? 6 months, 1 year or 3 years? I guess you don't to
want to
do that for very long :) or many versions.

I want to do it for as long as I want to run apps that haven't been ported.
As it is, on Saturday night I had the (misfortune) of needing to run Audacity.
It is a gtk1.2 program. Had gtk not been parallel installed, I would
have been screwed. Royally.

And so, I have no problem with parallel installs even 5 years after
the old software became obsolete so long as it solved my needs.

iain