Re: Bug buddy maintainer? (Was Re: bug-buddy support)

On 7/22/06, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
On 7/21/06, Fernando Herrera <fherrera onirica com> wrote:

> Yeah, they are:
>
> [example for gnome-calculator .desktop file]
>
> X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
> X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=gcalctool
> X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
> X-GNOME-Bugzilla-OtherBinaries=gnome-calculator

Can you explain what other values bug-buddy supports for
the Bugzilla entry ?

In previous bug-buddy versions (before the xml-rpc stuff), it
supported any bugzilla providing:
- A valid email address for submiting bugs (with a server-side script
for importing them)
- an http accesible xml file for products description
-  an http accesible xml file for config description
-  an http accesible xml file for most frequent bugs description

all this info was included on bug-buddy tarball as a XXX.bugzilla
config file. Only GNOME and Ximian bugzilla implemented this.

Current bug-buddy 2.15.x (XML-RPC) version supports only GNOME
bugzilla (it is hardcoded on sources right now), but I have the code
for reading any X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla value and search for a
config file for it, providing:
- XML-RPC URI for submiting bugs
- XML-RPC method for submiting bugs.

the idea behind this, is for example, if ubuntu or RedHat want to
handle bug reports from their users, they can patch bug-buddy for
adding a new BTS config file for sending reports via XML-RPC to
Launchpad or RedHat bugzilla directly. This would also require
patching every .desktop.in file to put, for example,
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=redhat

I would like to get some feedback from GNOME distributors about this.
Maybe another option would be just ignoring X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla,
marking as deprecated and  using only _one_ bug-buddy config file for
URI/method (I guess this would be more easy to maintaing instead lot
of patches for every package).

Anyway, as said, I would like to get some input before committing any
of this options.

Salu2