Re: What about Embedded?

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 07:07 +0200, J�lleter wrote:

> You might be interested in looking at Vala http://www.paldo.org/vala/ .
> It offers similar advantages as D does but with one major addition: it
> has been designed for GNOME (resp. GObject). I assume you can't subclass
> D classes from C (via GObject) or other languages, so it's only usable
> for applications but not for GNOME libraries. Vala uses the GObject type
> system as its native type system and bindings for GTK+ and other GNOME
> libraries are only needed at compile-time, not at run-time.
>
> It's not ready for production use yet but it's available for testing now
> and with feedback [hint ;) ] from interested developers I believe that
> we can get a very nice development environment for GNOME ready in
> relatively short time.

Yes J� have been looking at your Vala stuff very recently indeed.
And I indeed have to say it looks very interesting.

We live in exciting times with heros like you making fantastic solutions
for the problems developers are facing.

So you definitely don't stop implementing this idea behind Vala of
yours! :-). People will use it if it solves problems.

What I would really want to see is all these cool new programming
languages and environment integrate and cooperate.

At the end of the day we will be developing frameworks and libraries
that we want developers to use in whatever programming language they
prefer. Yet we don't want to implement eight versions of it just to get
integration perfect. Nor do we want to waste our time trying to get it
working everywhere.

I even think language binding code generators are not the best solution.
Imo it should be handled by the languages themselves and fully
automatically. Other than political, I don't see the *real* technical
difficulties for something like that.

In an opensource setting, we should CRUSH political bullshit and
overthrow it with technical superiority. We are by the way NOT doing
that, and in stead failing TECHNICALLY at the exact same POLITICAL
problems companies are also facing.

I want to define an interface .. and let the programmer implement that
in HIS programming language. And let my framework use his implementation
in HIS language by talking MY interface with it, using MY language.

Without having to reimplement things. Maybe even without having to
generate code nor to care about it. IKVM is in my opinion a very nice
experiment that looks in this direction.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be