Need for lead (Re: NLD10 and GNOME)

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 19:53, Elijah Newren wrote:

> So, we have two merged window manager + compositing manager codebases
> now.  My question is whether and how we can merge these.

I think that's precisely the heart of the problem: decisions in the
GNOME project are made not to hurt community developpers. Sometimes I'm
sure the core isn't even looked at and is accepted as a whole.
Code needs to be accepted on it merit, not only feature-wise but wrt its
quality, integration with the rest of the desktop and testability (i.e.
no too big changes in the code at once).
Look at Xorg, they asked David to integrate Xgl piece by piece,
rejecting unwanted changes.
Look at the linux kernel, they often reject ideas without code, and
often reject code because it's not good or because it's too big. But
they never decide to merge two pieces of code just to please both
developpers.