Re: NLD10 and GNOME

On 2/7/06, Dan Winship <danw novell com> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
> > On 2/7/06, JP Rosevear <jpr novell com> wrote:
> >> The changes that were implemented were not as radical as the
> >> mockups. Basically what Nat F. showed in Paris is what was
> >> implemented.  The code will be released to the community soon.
> >
> > To ask the obvious question, why not now, and why not discussed
> > publicly earlier?
>
> So here's my (ie, not Novell's) answer.
>
> Two words: "bike shed"[1].

Here's a heart felt thank you from one person for avoiding this.  :)
However, that seems to apply more to e.g. the panel changes.  I'm
curious about the joint window-manager/compositing manager ("compiz")
you were working on as it sounds like duplication of Soeren's work and
something that largely wouldn't be affected by the bike shed stuff, at
least not if the work & discussion were restricted to the core gl part
excluding plugins.  I'm not trying to come across as accusing, I'm
just wondering whether there was duplicated effort and if so whether
there's a possibility of merging now or if we have a real fork for
this particular part of the desktop.

Thanks,
Elijah