Re: Plan to fix icons [was: Re: breakage caused by removed icons from gnome-icon-theme]

Matthias Clasen wrote:

>On 2/6/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
>

>>Look at the conversation about making g-i-t a 'platform API' - now how major
>>do you think this change is? :-)
>>

>If we are talking about making g-i-t part of the platform, it should
>also be pointed out
>that the latest releases of g-i-t have added "animations" in the form of
>"stuff-all-frames-in-a-png". While I think that adding support for
>animations in icon themes
>might be valuable, I think
>
>a) this needs to be discussed as an addition to the icon theme spec on
>xdg-list freedesktop org, which I have not seen happening so far
>
>b) I believe we should pick a file format that did not already look
>antiquated when it was first employed in wanda the fish 5 years ago.
>Even gif animations look modern and featureful compared to this.

It is also worth noting that if we do use animation strips, it is
generally best to arrange the frames vertically.  Since the image is
stored as scanlines, it means that each frame is stored as a contiguous
block of memory rather than being spread out over the pixbuf/pixmap.

James.