Re: breakage caused by removed icons from gnome-icon-theme

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 11:00 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> Someone should file some bugs then. Just complaining that /some/
> icons /may/ be missing isn't going to get it fixed. And, fwiw, the
> ABI stability guarantee doesn't seem to apply to the desktop, but
> only the developer platform. And gnome-icon-theme is part of the
> desktop, not the developer platform. Also, gnome-icon-theme was
> never guaranteed to be in the fallback icon path. It has only ever
> been the /default/ icon theme, in very informal informal and ugly
> ways. But I've also improved that for 2.14, and while the settings
> daemon is running, with gtk+ 2.8.10 or later, the "gnome" theme will
> always be searched for icons, before hicolor.

We should make one of the icon themes part of the platform.  In
particular, gtk+ depends on hicolor, but that fact is not listed in our
jhbuild moduleset.

Two questions:

1. Can we get this mess fixed (either by fixing apps, or by providing
fallbacks/symlinks/whatever) before the 2.14 release?

2. As soon as 2.14 is released, can gnome-icon-theme commit to the same
ABI stability rules as the rest of the platform?  Icon names *are* part
of the ABI, since that's what apps use.

  Federico