Adding network awareness to parts of gnome

A year ago or more I switched to NetworkManager and as a person that
roams networks a lot I love how it just works.  I love how I can move
network services for the dispatcher to start on connection, shortening
boot time, and the list goes on.  My biggest pet peeve about how it
works is how late the network connection is made.  I coded up a basic
NetworkConfiguration daemon and command-line client today that needs
work, but it gets me closer to some of the functionality I want.

While testing the configuration daemon I figured out what really annoys
me the most.  My gweather applet starts before nm-applet, so it never
has the weather when I first log into my desktop.  I always have to do a
manual update  (grrr the thought infuriates me).  This all finally leads
me to my real point and question.  I was tired of this behavior, so I
added dbus functionality to the gweather applet so it could figure out
when it could get updates.  I was going to post my patch to bugzilla,
but I wondered if there was a greater plan for enabling this
functionality in relevant apps?  If so I won't bother.

Just wondering,

Jon