Re: 'GNOME', 'Gnome' [Was: Gnome 2]

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 18:59 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 16:05 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > I would more readily support an entirely new name.
> >
> > The only way I could see ever that happening was under the threat of legal
> > action.
>
> Since Firefox, renaming and relaunching seems like a marketing trick
> that can really pay off. Of course it would be insanely difficult for
> such a large project.

Note that the Firebird name was dropped because it conflicted with some
database software. I don't recall why Phoenix was dropped, but it wasn't
very unique. In any case, I think it's safe to say that the Firefox name
wasn't chosen as a marketing trick, and that the heavy advertising which
happened after the name switch is more likely to have paid off.