Re: GNOME Power Manager

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 10:01 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
> > Remember to consider !Linux. Linux is currently the only HAL-supporting
> > platform (yes, others are close, but will they be finished for our
> > release timeframe?).
>
> I didn't forget it; I was only responding to the linux-2.4 part of the
> thread.  I think the alternative OS side of things has already been
> addressed sufficiently[1,2,3,4,5], and given that we have other HAL
> dependencies in the desktop, I'm honestly quite surprised that anyone
> thinks that this should hold back the inclusion of g-p-m.

Oh, I'm not at all opposing to the g-p-m inclusion. My point was that it
would be nice to keep battstat around too until they're done with their
HAL ports, within a timeframe of 1 or 2 releases.

As for the "2.4 distros", my concern is not those, but the non-Linux
systems which weren't mentioned at all. They use package managers too,
so the fact that battstat was included in earlier releases doesn't mean
it will still be there when users upgrade.