Re: GNOME Power Manager

Rodney Dawes wrote:
On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 16:03 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
FWIW I think this project is awesome and should be 'blessed' into GNOME,
it's made a large improvement to power issues the desktop has had for a while now. I'd recommend dropping the batstat applet in favor of this, while batstat is great we really only need one battery 'applet thing' in GNOME.

What do I use for my machines where I must run a Linux 2.4 kernel
then? :)

We Have Had This Discussion Before [1].

The consensus then [2] was that (new) functionality just depending on HAL is fine, because HAL is our approved method of getting hardware events from different operating systems. Linux 2.4 doesn't support it, but everyone's migrating away from that anyway.

This situation is slightly different in that we're replacing functionality; my reaction would be that the small number of users still using 2.4 kernels can install battstat (hell, they've got it installed already; they just need to remember not to randomly delete it!). However, our "GNOME Desktop" (which is basically a recommendation to distros, and all the distros are on 2.6) only needs to work on 2.6.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-June/msg00243.html [2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-August/msg00167.html

--
Andrew