Re: Mono bindings a blessed dependency? [Was: Tomboy in 2.16]

Jamie McCracken wrote:

But lets be honest here. This discussion isn't about tomboy. We need
built in search; we're getting some of our best reviews in ages
because of our (currently optional) built in search:

well there's a huge problem with that - the memory usage of beagle would mean only high end machines would be able to run it. Tracker gives us a better alternative IMHO for integrated search as it rocks for *everyone* and not just the few.

I agree with it. I haven't tested tracker, but beagle is just not usable here (not enough memory, etc.). And the simple fact tracker exists demonstrate we don't *need* C# to get this kind of cool features. (Also consider there is a huge blow of fresh air and optimism around the new D compiler which may bring us a compiled language with cool high level features, speeding up development and so on)

My advice would be to be careful before accepting another blessed managed language. Some apps don't need to be in the default desktop distribution to be used by everyone, and it's going to be difficult to remove such a blessing. Also think that mono is still controversial, as java is, and so maybe it's a bit early to include it in the desktop.