Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]
- From: Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
- To: Elijah Newren <newren gmail com>
- Cc: Dan Winship <danw novell com>, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>, Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>, desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]
- Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:08:13 +0200
On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 12:02 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Dan Winship <danw novell com> wrote:
> <snip many arguments that make a lot of sense to me>
> > So how about we pull a Solaris and call this fall's release "GNOME 16", next
> > spring's "GNOME 18", etc?
> Because if we're going to change the versioning, we should fix the
> spelling at the same time. So it'd be "Gnome 16" and "Gnome 18". ;-)
> I kind of like the idea of referring to the minor and micro version
> number of Gnome as its version number. The 2 is understood (by the
> developers) and people tend to call e.g. "2.14" a major release
> anyway, so we might as well call our next version "Gnome 16"
> publically. But, I doubt most would agree...
Never understimate peoples' capacity to misunderstand things like
version numbers, API, and ABI. The combinations and permutations of
misunderstanding are already numerously sprinkled all over various
online forums. Please try not to give them too many extra ways to not
murrayc murrayc com
] [Thread Prev