Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]

On 4/19/06, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
>   Please, don't take the 3.0 version lightly, only as a way to improve
> GNOME marketing.  The jump to 3.x version is invaluable in helping
> developers figure out which library versions break API and can be
> parallel installed, and which versions are simple upgrades that retain
> old API compatibility.  If we change the GNOME version to 3.0 but don't
> break the API it is going to be very confusing for developers.

Hey, don't forget the applications. GNOME is more than just an API.
You guys make it sound like three-point-oh would be all about the
platform things.

GNOME still lacks (good and tightly integrated the GNOME way)
applications in various day-to-day things like IM. Getting a good set
of applications should be a goal for 3.0 (in addition to things like
making the platform legacy-free).

It's should not be ok to just say "well there's the fifth-toe/third
party apps for that" forever.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi