Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]

  Please, don't take the 3.0 version lightly, only as a way to improve
GNOME marketing.  The jump to 3.x version is invaluable in helping
developers figure out which library versions break API and can be
parallel installed, and which versions are simple upgrades that retain
old API compatibility.  If we change the GNOME version to 3.0 but don't
break the API it is going to be very confusing for developers.

  Developers are the only ones that should be seeing the GNOME version,
anyway.  End users only see the distribution version, like Ubuntu 6.06
or Fedora Core 5.  Therefore, let's make the GNOME version something
that is useful for developers, not something to be used as marketing.

  But also note that we also shouldn't make 3.0 as an excuse for
breaking the API sooner than necessary.  We should stick to 2.x for a
long time still.  Most of the 3.0 ideas can be realized inside the GNOME
2.x platform.  Something like Project Ridley is very important to
provide developers with a shared and global view of where we want to go,
and therefore allowing us to align all efforts towards the common
vision.  But, IMHO, nothing more should be implied by such efforts,
neither API breakage nor major version change.