Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal Profiles)

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 15:54 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > You can set the title of an xterm or gnome-terminal by sending the magic
> > escape sequence, many distributions have this in their bashrc files and
> > what have you.
> You can set the window title to a fixed value (as far as I can tell it is
> fixed)
> As I'm sure you know one can set the command prompt to show
> username host /path/directory/ ~
> and presumably one can configure the command prompt to show all kinds of
> other variables and other useful information which is kept up to date even
> if you change directories or log into other (similarly configured) hosts.
> (On the network I am using this is already provided and I do always know
> what host I'm currently logged in to.)

You can. I want to do this for all applications. Not just GNOME
terminal. So if an application is running on a machine that isn't your
local Xserver (or the machine metacity is running on perhaps) it will
tell you the hostname of the Xclient.

eg, if I ran the command.

ssh charlie17 "DISPLAY=tc35:0 mgiva"

A window would appear on my workstation which was titled "MGiva (on
charlie17)", or something to that effect.

Does this clear it up?

Davyd Madeley
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA