Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal Profiles)

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 15:54 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > You can set the title of an xterm or gnome-terminal by sending the magic
> > escape sequence, many distributions have this in their bashrc files and
> > what have you.
>
> You can set the window title to a fixed value (as far as I can tell it is
> fixed)
>
> As I'm sure you know one can set the command prompt to show
>
> username host /path/directory/ ~
>
> and presumably one can configure the command prompt to show all kinds of
> other variables and other useful information which is kept up to date even
> if you change directories or log into other (similarly configured) hosts.
> (On the network I am using this is already provided and I do always know
> what host I'm currently logged in to.)

You can. I want to do this for all applications. Not just GNOME
terminal. So if an application is running on a machine that isn't your
local Xserver (or the machine metacity is running on perhaps) it will
tell you the hostname of the Xclient.

eg, if I ran the command.

ssh charlie17 "DISPLAY=tc35:0 mgiva"

A window would appear on my workstation which was titled "MGiva (on
charlie17)", or something to that effect.

Does this clear it up?

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA