Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal Profiles)

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 19:41 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > Unrelated, but this has reminded me of a feature I saw recently in
> > KWin.
> >
> > Remote X clients running on your X server are marked with an
> > @hostname in the title.
>
> That information can also be shown by configuring your command line
> prompt.
>
> Might be easier to allow the terminal to use whatever you have set as your
> prompt as the window title, as it might provide a relatively easy way to
> tap into a lot of existing infrastructure without further complicating
> things.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. You can set the title of an xterm
or gnome-terminal by sending the magic escape sequence, many
distributions have this in their bashrc files and what have you.

Here I'm discussing windows (X-clients) running on other machines but
being displayed on your machine (the X-server). This seems to be a
mighty common mode of operation in industries where you have a big
cluster and lots of relatively powerless terminal computers. Perhaps log
into the cluster using rsh and run their analysis applications from
there. Sometimes people are running the same analysis operation from
different head nodes, for whatever reason and sometimes they actually
launch applications from the wrong machine. The idea is to tell you what
machine your X-client is running on, because sometimes you just don't
know.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA