Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal Profiles)

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:16:02 +0800
> From: Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au>
> To: nielsen memberwebs com
> Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal
>     Profiles)
>
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 04:58:14AM +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
> > Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > > Does anyone actually use this feature? So far, it seems like most people
> > > don't even know it exists.
> >
> > I and other developers I know use it a lot. It's very handy to
> > differentiate between 'root terminals' and 'user terminals'. In addition
> > we use it to denote terminals on remote machines etc...
>
> Unrelated, but this has reminded me of a feature I saw recently in
> KWin.
>
> Remote X clients running on your X server are marked with an
> @hostname in the title.

That information can also be shown by configuring your command line
prompt.

Might be easier to allow the terminal to use whatever you have set as your
prompt as the window title, as it might provide a relatively easy way to
tap into a lot of existing infrastructure without further complicating
things.

--
Alan H.